Typography by Luke Lucas
Blue Goes Big
Accelerating the University’s and the Alumni Association’s impact on lives and the world
At the public launch of the Victors for Michigan fundraising campaign in 2013, the University set an ambitious goal of $4 billion. Today, U-M has not only met the goal but far surpassed it. With more than $5 billion raised as of this past October, the University also shattered fundraising records for public universities.
“As donors, you’ve made U-M a stronger university, opened our doors wider to students from all backgrounds, and helped us achieve even higher levels of public impact,” said U-M President Mark Schlissel at a Nov. 2 event celebrating the campaign. “You’re helping us change the world one new Wolverine at a time.”
Donations came in a range of amounts from students, alumni, friends, and corporate donors. All contributed to the three broad priorities of the campaign (which officially closes Dec. 31): student support, engaged learning, and bold ideas.
For its part, the Alumni Association also set its own fundraising record with $65 million in gifts that will support several program areas:
- The LEAD Scholars Program aims to close the diversity gap on campus by offering merit-based scholarships to black, Latino, and Native American students who have been accepted into U-M. The scholarship celebrates its 10th anniversary this year.
- For more than 50 years, Michigan alumni have experienced the magic of Camp Michigania. The family camp in northern Michigan has been an escape where alumni have built memories that remain with them for
the rest of their lives.
- The Association’s new Alumni Online Communities are connecting alumni via discussions in Wolverine Forum and searches via the Alumni Directory.
- In-person connections are still made through a network of alumni clubs around the world. These groups not only provide connections but also make a Michigan education possible for deserving students through club scholarships.
- Coming in early 2019, the Education Gateway will provide alumni with access to exclusive educational content from all areas of the University. The website will pull together the best of U-M’s expertise and educational resources
into one location.
- The Alumni Association has created outlets for career development among both alumni and students, including events, resources, and services.
The infographic that follows, current as of Nov. 1, 2018, shows the immense impact of the campaign on the education and lives of students and alumni.